The European Commission launched a consultation on a possible revision of the acquis communautaire in July 2004.
Together with other creators' organisations, the EFJ issued a common statement in response to the consultation, stressing that the most important inconsistencies and imbalances in the acquis communautaire are due to omissions leading to:
- the divergent definitions of protected works
- The worrying existence in some EU member states of US like workfor-
hire concepts on the ownership of works that are created in the
course of employment
- The lack of recognition of some basic -but vital- economic rights for
- The unacceptable disparities in the protection of moral rights
- And the insufficient protection of individual creators in contract law
against a global assignment or transfer of their rights.