Europe: Four mentors on gender and media
As part of the EU- funded project “Rewriting the Story”, the project consortium (IFJ, Padova University and COPEAM) is looking for four experts to complete a mentoring session involving journalists unions’ and broadcasters’ representatives on enhancing gender equality in the media.
The EU-funded project “Rewriting the story: Gender, Media and Politics” aims at addressing barriers to the fair representation and portrayal of women and men in political life in European countries.
One of the project activities includes a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) programme involving managers, producers, journalists and journalists’ unions to produce and adopt protocols, guidelines, agreements and initiate a mindset shift towards gender equality in editorial decisions, newsroom organisation and working conditions.
The consortium is looking for 4 mentors to facilitate this P2P activity.
The multilateral P2P exchanges will help strengthen the capacities of 6 Public Service Media and 6 journalists unions’ skills to tackle gender stereotypes in the media/press coverage, with a specific focus on women representation in the political news coverage. This process includes the identification of areas of concern, the development of an ad-hoc action plan and the setting-up of achievable and measurable goals for newsrooms’ reforms.
The task of the mentors will involve:
1) Supporting peers in reviewing their working routines and workplace arrangements from a gender equality perspective
2) Enhancing peers’ capacity to develop gender equality internal guidelines/strategies/tools
3) Defining effective methods of management and monitoring of the results
Qualifications and skillsrequired:
- Working experience in a newsroom
- Strong knowledge of gender equality in the media both from an editorial and work perspective
- Ability to formulate ideas for viable solutions
- Knowledge of trade unionism
- Experience in gender mainstreaming in media industries
- Experience in facilitating workshops and leading discussions
- Knowledge and experience in developing media / information strategies
- Knowledge of international and European standards on gender equality in the media and existing tools, initiatives and strategies to foster gender equality in the media
- Excellent command of English
- Participate in three 2-day group meetings taking place in 3 EU countries and bringing together 12 peers (to be scheduled between September 2023 and May 2024)
- One-to-one remote mentoring throughout the process
- Write meeting reports in English (jointly elaborated with the peers)
- Total number of working days: 11
Applicants must be located in an EU country
Send cover letter and CV to [email protected] by 19/05/2023
Sydney-based Student Internship: Human Rights, Communications and Campaigns
Contract Type: Temporary, 2 to 4 months depending on the availability of the candidates.
Contract Hours: Part-time, minimum 3 days per week. Interns will work both online and in-person at the IFJ Asia-Pacific office in Redfern, Sydney.
The IFJ internship requires an energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated team player. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in international relations, media, human rights and unionism.
- Must be studying - communications, media, journalism, international relations, Asian studies, government or law
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent written English language skills
- Knowledge or experience in journalism/ communication
- Able to convey complex ideas through writing in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work in an organised manner, independently and manage time effectively
- Excellent computer skills and well versed in Microsoft Office Suite
- Photo editing skills
- Good knowledge of social media
Your daily tasks will involve:
- Assisting the communication team in drafting daily press releases and news for the website and social media
- Assisting IFJ press freedom campaigns including developing campaigning material
- Monitoring world news on press freedom and journalists’ rights
- Project management assistance
Interns will receive a small daily stipend.
How to apply: send covering letter, application form and CV to [email protected]
Download the application form here and internship description here. Applications close January 16, 2023.