DEPUTY GENERAL SECRETARY POST
The Executive Committee of the International Federation of Journalists is seeking to appoint an IFJ Deputy General Secretary, based in Brussels.
He/she shall be responsible to the IFJ General Secretary as the Chief Executive officer of the Federation. The IFJ DGS must have the following skills:
1. Experience and considerable knowledge of trade unionism and trade unions, with proven ability to lead and inspire.
2. Experience and knowledge of journalism and broad issues connected with media and journalists worldwide.
3. Experience of leading campaigns and negotiating with institutions.
4. Knowledge and experience of effectively managing the human resources of an organisation with the ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
5. Ability to develop and implement financial plans, execute budgeting and financial transactions, manage resources, and to oversee the procurement of funding/revenue sources.
6. Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate and interact at all levels and to work effectively with affiliates.
7. Knowledge of communication and public relation techniques and ability to develop and deliver reports and presentations.
8. Be fluent in English and French or Spanish. Fluency in other languages will be of advantage.
Duties of the IFJ DGS:
The DGS will work in coordination and under the supervision of the IFJ General Secretary and deputise for him in hhis absence, and in particular be responsible to the GS for:
- oversight of all administrative affairs as directed by the GS, in line with the Internal Rules and decisions of the Administrative and Executive Committees. This includes: - staff matters - the work of the Brussels secretariat - the preparation of meetings of statutory bodies and conferences - supervising and administering IFJ finances, including the accounts and fees;
- managing on a day-to-day basis finances in the absence of the IFJ General Secretary, in accordance with the existing budget and in cooperation with the Honorary Treasurer; organising fund raising and identifying fund-raising opportunities for projects;
- working with the GS to improve the communications work of the IFJ;
- relations with members unions, regional offices and statutory bodies of the IFJ as directed by the GS and in the absence of the GS;
- such other tasks as the GS may from time to time decide.
Terms and conditions
The Deputy General Secretary will be employed.on an open contract, including a probation period of six months. He/she will received a basic monthly salary of €5000, paid within the terms of the Belgian salary system. Additional fringe benefits will be paid in line with the terms of the Staff Agreement.
Other terms and conditions in the IFJ staff agreement will apply to the DGS, unless explicitly covered and excluded by his/her contract.
Timetable for the appointment
- Closing date for the receipt of applications: 15 January
- Short-listing by the recruitment panel: 1 February
- Interview by the recruitment panel 1 March
The appointment will be endorsed by the IFJ Administrative Committee and confirmed by its Executive Committee.
To be considered candidates MUST:
- be a member of a trade union and have trade union experience as a lay or full-time official;
- have worked as a journalist;
- be prepared to relocate to within a reasonable distance for the IFJ Headquarters in Brussels.
These three criteria must be highlighted when applying.
How to apply?
Closing date for application: 15 January 2016, 12 midnight
Once appointed, a candidate must then sign the contract of employment before the offer is confirmed.
Anyone seeking further details should contact in the first instance:
The General Secretary
International Federation of Journalists
International Press Centre, Résidence Palace, Block C
155 rue de la Loi, B-1040 Brussels. Belgium
For more information, please contact IFJ on + 32 2 235 22 16
The IFJ represents more than 600,000 journalists in 139 countries