Authors’ Rights officer
(4 months part-time position for maternity leave replacement)
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is hiring a part-time authors’ rights officer for 4 months (October 2014- January 2015) for maternity leave replacement. This position is based at the IFJ headquarters in Brussels.
The authors’ rights officer will be responsible for the International and the European Federation of Journalists (IFJ/EFJ)’ authors’ rights work, under the direction of the IFJ and EFJ General Secretaries and in close co-operation with the EFJ Authors' Rights Expert Group (AREG).
The officer will be responsible for:
- Managing the IFJ/EFJ authors’ rights’ activity programme as agreed by AREG, the Annual Meeting of the EFJ and the IFJ Executive Committee
- Drafting statements and positions papers in consultation with AREG
- Regularly updating AREG on any intellectual property development relevant to journalists and their unions
- Lobbying on behalf of the IFJ/EFJ before relevant European and international bodies on issues related to authors’ rights in full consultation with IFJ and EFJ
- Maintaining the IFJ authors’ rights web page
- Liaising with other creators’ organisations concerned with authors’ rights and trade unions in the media sector as well as with key IFJ partners
- Advising on daily requests from IFJ and EFJ members on authors’ rights
- Supporting IFJ and EFJ members in their solidarity in disputes, industrial actions and initiatives on authors’ rights
- Representing the IFJ/EFJ to relevant meetings on authors’ rights
The successful candidate will have legal expertise in authors’ rights and sound knowledge of EU and global developments in the field of intellectual property and authors’ rights.
The candidate will have a strong understanding of journalists’ needs in the field of intellectual property.
Fluency in English and another working language of the IFJ (French or Spanish) is highly desirable as is knowledge of working in journalism or a trade union environment.
This is a part-time position with a contract for 4 months. The terms and conditions will be as set out in the IFJ Staff Agreement. Salary will depend on qualifications and experience.
Interviews will take place in the first week of September 2014 for a start on 6th October 2014.
All applications, with full curriculum vitae, motivation letter and references should be sent to:
International Federation of Journalists,
International Press Centre,
Résidence Palace, Block C,
155 Rue De La Loi,
Tel: +32 2 235 22 16
Email: [email protected]
Closing date for applications: Midnight on 29th July 2014.