Rules and Policy
Principles on Conduct of Journalism
IFJ Head Office
Asia & Pacific
Asia & Pacific
Future of Journalism
Rights at work
Federation of African Journalists (FAJ)
Asia & Pacific
IFJ Asia & Pacific
Subscribe to EFJ news
Latin America and the Caribbean
IFJ Latin America
The Federation of Journalists of Latin America and the Caribbean (FEPALC)
Middle East & Arab world
IFJ Middle East & Arab world
Medmedia web portal
International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and Girls
Campaign against Impunity 2018
End Impunity - for a UN Convention to protect journalists
Turkey: Press freedom is essential for democracy, set journalism free!
Stop violence against women journalists
Fair Contracts for Journalists
Forced Labour, Fair Recruitment Reporting
Social Justice Campaigns
Complete the form and questionnaire.
Read the following notes carefully
All Questions marked with
icon have an accompanying note.
Questions marked with
1. What is the official name of your organisation?
2. What is the address of your organisation?
3. Who are the leading officers of the organisation?
4. To whom should correspondence be addressed?
5. Is your organisation a trade union?
Is it recognised in law?
How many regular members are there in your organisation?
Do you accept employers or owners as members?
If Yes, explain under what circumstances
Do you admit editors-in-chief?
Do you admit journalists in all sectors?
If No, specify field or sector in which your members
6. Is your organisation a national organisation?
7. Is the union affiliated to a national union federation?
If Yes, please give the name of the Federation
8. Does your union bargain for journalists?
If Yes, do you have existing collective agreements?
If Yes, how many are currently in force?
9. In your country are there other organisations representing journalists?
If Yes, give the name and explain what differences there are between them
10. The IFJ may admit industrial unions that also represent journalists. If you recruit other groups of workers, are journalists specifically recognised in your union?
11. Are you affiliated to any other international trade union or journalists’ organisation?
If Yes, please give the name
12. Please complete the following questions which relate to the representation of your membership
How many members are there in your union?
How many members are women?
How many work in radio?
How many work in television?
How many work in newspapers?
How many work in news agencies?
How many work in digital media?
Do you admit freelances into membership?
How many freelances are union members?
In what other areas do your members work? Please specify.
What percentage of journalists does your union represent?
13. Is your union financially and politically independent in its work and its activities?
14. Does your union pledge itself to respect and practise effectively principles of press freedom and freedom of association
15. For which status of membership do you apply?
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR Rules/Constitution AND YOUR LATEST FINANCIAL STATEMENT WITH THE APPLICATION. IF THE rules ARE LENGTHY SEND AN EXTRACT, TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH, FRENCH OR SPANISH, COVERING AIMS, OBJECTIVES AND MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA.
Please note the financial obligations of IFJ membership. Failure to comply may result in suspension or expulsion from membership.
Holding the position of
Acting on behalf of
Conditions of membership
Confirm that by submitting this application I have read and fully understood the conditions of membership, and agree that our organisation will abide by the constitution of the IFJ, and do formally apply for membership of the International Federation of Journalists.
Don't fill this field!