The online trial was held in line with health protocols amid the coronavirus outbreak. The judges, prosecutors and lawyers were in the court room while Diananta was in the detention room in District Police of Kotabaru’s office. Diananta’s wife flew from East Java to be with her husband after months of not seeing each other.
Prosecutors alleged a land conflict article entitled Johnlin seizes land, Dayak complains to the South Kalimantan Police on November 9, 2019 in banjarhits.id, a partner of national news media Kumparan,caused hatred or hostility against individuals and groups.If found guilty, Diananta faces up to 6 years in prison. The next trial is scheduled for June 15.
Previously, the Journalist Safety Committee and AJI regretted the decision to have the trials in Kotabaru instead of in the Banjarmasin District Court, the capital city of South Kalimantan. Diananta interviewed his sources, wrote and published the article in Banjarmasin and he currently lives close to Banjarmasin. The witnesses are also based in Banjarmasin. The Committee has highlighted that the eight hour drive from of the Kotabaru district from Banjarmasin might impact on Diananta’s legal defence as his lawyers are based in Banjarmasin and Jakarta.
The Committee also raised concerns about the difficulties for the family members or lawyers to meet Diananta while he is in police custody in Kotabaru. The Committee are also concerned about the safety of Diananta particularly in light of an incident involving journalist M. Yusuf who died in custody in the prison in Kotabaru in 2018.
AJI said: “AJI hopes the judges will drop the charge because the Press Council has already solved the issue and press freedom is guaranteed by Indonesian Constitution. AJI also calls Kumparan to take a responsibility and does not let Diananta fights for his rights alone.”
The IFJ said:“IFJ calls the authorities to drop all charges against Diananta and release him immediately so that he can be with his family. These trials, in worrying circumstances, are not necessary given that the Press Council has resolved this matter.”