Statement from the Somali Journalists Network (SOJON)
We, Somali journalists & the delegates participating in the General Assembly of the Somali Journalists Network (SOJON) under the theme of “Somali Journalists Meeting for a Unified Profession” gathered in Mogadishu between the 28th-31st of August 2004, declare:
1. To respect the freedom of Press in Somalia, and not to violate the dignity of the Somali media during their daily work.
2. To respect the professional ethics and the code of conduct of Somali journalists.
3. To organize a journalistic campaign in order to draft a national constitution and to play a participatory role in the development of a national press law.
4. To diffuse the role of the journalist in society and to protect his/her rights in the work place.
5. To give power to journalists by improving their professional standards.
6. To help raise public awareness regarding development of the media profession.
DONE in Mogadishu
August 31, 2004