Séamus Dooley, Assistant General Secretary condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine and urged NUJ members to support the IFJ Journalist Safety Fund.
The NUJ has asked the Department of Foreign Affairs to provide practical assistance to Ukraine journalists through the IFJ.
The IFJ thanks the NUJ and all its members for its amazing solidarity with journalists under threat in Ukraine – and with the national Union of Journalists of Ukraine (NUJU) and Independent Media Trade Union of Ukraine (IMTUU) following the invasion by Russian troops.
· Helped evacuate journalists in danger
· Secured vital funds to provide first aid and other urgent medical supplies
· Provided safety equipment to journalists covering the war
· Met with UNESCO, the UN and media freedom groups to build support for journalists and independent media in Ukraine
· Been in constant contact with our Ukrainian affiliates to assess their needs
But there is much still to do. As the war goes on and the fighting intensifies, now more than ever it is important to increase our efforts and deliver greater solidarity.