Shots Fired at Radio Station in the Philippines

The International Federation of

Journalists (IFJ) joins its affiliate, the National Union of Journalists of

Philippines (NUJP), in expressing deep concern at shootings by unidentified

gunmen at a radio station in Roxas City, in the Capiz Province of the

Philippines, on the evening of September 14.

 

NUJP Roxas City Chapter chairman John Heredia reportedly stated that two

men on a single motorcycle fired at the dyOW-Bombo Radyo Roxas

City broadcast centre on Arnaldo Boulevard around 9:30pm local time.

Bombo Radyo area manager for Visayas, Warren French, told the

NUJP that a number of deskmen, technical staff and a security guard were

present at the time of the incident, but no one was injured.



According to a post on the station’s Facebook page, a security guard in

the nearby Paraiso KTV Bar witnessed the motorcycle and its two riders

stopping in front of the station. The rear rider withdrew a gun and fired

repeatedly at the building.  Another witness, using the alias

“Daday”, said she saw the two men ride towards the city’s main area immediately

after the shooting.

 

Roxas City Police recovered 11 empty shells of a 9mm pistol and

a slug from a gun of unknown calibre. Authorities also discovered bullet marks on

steps leading to the building’s entrance. Police have been deployed to the radio

station, Mr French said.

 

French said that while the motive behind the shooting has yet to

be established, the station had been discussing issues such as the killing of an

official and the reprimand of Capiz Provincial Jail officials, by the

Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, over their reported special treatment of a

prisoner arrested over drugs.

 

A report from the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaperon September 17 quoted

Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz, Police Regional Office 6 Director, as saying

the police incident report came 12 hours after the shooting occurred. Cruz

told the Inquirer he ordered the

Roxas City Police chief Salvador Dagoon and Capiz Provincial Police

Director Domingo Cabillan to explain the 12-hour delay. Cruz said he has

also instructed the deployment of an extra 30 police officers in the city.

 

Shootings

by unidentified assailants on motorbikes have become a  common

method of attacking journalists and other media personnel in the

Philippines.

 

Five

Bombo Radyo reporters and anchors have been murdered in the Visayas since 1985.

 

 “The IFJ again expresses its deep concern

regarding this continuing pattern of escalating violence and attacks against

the media in the Philippines throughout 2012,” IFJ Asia-Pacific Director

Jacqueline Park said.

 

“We

call on the authorities of the Philippines to immediately investigate the

shootings and bring to justice those responsible.”

 

 For

further information contact IFJ Asia-Pacific on +612 9333 0918

 

The IFJ

represents more than 600,000 journalists in 131 countries

 

Find

the IFJ on Twitter: @ifjasiapacific

 

Find

the IFJ on Facebook: www.facebook.com/IFJAsiaPacific