EFJ/FES Seminar: Recruiting
Unions Challenges in Times of Media Crisis
Belgrade, 15-17 April, 2009
Unions and Associations Join Forces to:
- - Coordinate actions on issues of shared interests, such as the media crisis, organise joint events on themes of importance to the journalistic community, present common proposals to the government, raise awareness and reach out to the public by presenting the challenges and problems of the profession in a concerted manner;
- - Act together in the defence of independence of media ,focusing solely on professional and social interests of journalists.
out to Young Journalists by
- - Contacting educational institutions to get issues of social/human and trade union rights into the curricula;
- - Helping working journalists to get experience in the educational systems;
- - Organising internships in media houses for students and keep contact with them;
- - Holding roundtables to enable discussions between students and respected journalists on professional and social issues within a changing media landscape;
- - Taking advantage of new technology and social networks of reaching out to the young.
Web Journalists through
web journalists and including them into the union structure, educating them on
ethical rules, authors’ rights and other journalistic issues; providing journalistic
training; contacting them by personal
letters and invitation to unions’ meetings.
against remuneration based on click
Internal Reforms by
- - Broadening criteria for membership within the radical changing media landscape;
- - Creating more efficient structures to allow for contribution from existing journalists organisations .
Legal Framework on Organising by
- - Campaigning for the right at national level to organise at the work place and for recognition of industrial action and active union membership where needed, with the help of the EFJ/IFJ;
- - Fighting for conditions of Social Dialogue at sector level