The International and European Federations of Journalists (IFJ-EFJ) unreservedly condemned 2016's bloody coup attempt and the use of force against citizens, journalists, media and many democratic institutions.
The failed coup was followed by a state of emergency and excessive and indiscriminate measures to purge all individuals believed to be connected to the attempt. The Turkish authorities are now jailing journalists, shutting down radio and TV channels and censoring the internet in an attempt to silence criticism. 140-plus journalists are in jail and over 150 media have been banned since mid-July. Thousands of journalists have lost their jobs and arrest warrants have been issued for dozens of media workers. Some families of journalists, who are in hiding or have fled, have been arrested to force them to surrender.
Media workers, journalists and press freedom campaigners all over the world have joined protests calling for the release of all jailed journalists in Turkey. Press freedom is essential for democracy, we demand Turkey sets the journalists free! Journalism is not a crime - Gazetecilik suç degildir !
- A list of detained journalists is available here, and all the alerts submitted to the Council of Europe platform for the protection of journalism and the safety of journalists, here.
- As part of our campaign we are providing practical support and solidarity to our affiliates in Turkey who are fighting to maintain their rights and freedoms day in day out. We have assisted with solidarity missions, financial support for those facing poverty or oppression and we have been observers at trials. We continue to lobby national and international institutions to demand the release of all journalists and the re-opening of media.
- Affiliated unions have lobbied Turkish embassies in their countries as well as raising the issue with government ministers.
- Send a letter to the Turkish ambassador in your country and/or your national government (sample letters)
- Send a contribution to the IFJ Safety Fund in order to support individual requests from Turkey (Bank account BE64 2100 7857 0052; Swift Code GEBABEBB; communication “Solidarity Turkey”)
- Share our campaign on social media and websites the “Did you know? Journalism is not a crime” #JournalismIsNotACrime visual
- Follow our updates on Twitter and Facebook
Join the IFJ-EFJ solidarity campaign with the Turkish journalists now!