Call for action to ensure safety of journalists in conflict zones
The European Federation of Journalists (EFJ), the Swiss professional association of journalists Impressum, Amnesty International, the University of Fribourg, Reporters Without Borders and Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) adopted a joint resolution at the end of the third Forum on the journalism this Sept. 24 in Lausanne.
The resolution calls:
- Publishers to provide sufficient human and material resources to journalists to ensure the freedom of the press;
- Governments to ensure the protection of journalists' sources;
- The Swiss government to launch the necessary consultations with the international community to develop an international mechanism for the protection of journalists in conflict zones (including investigations to end impunity);
- the Swiss government to consider direct aid to the press;
- States to adopt legislation that contributes to data protection facing mass surveillance.