IFJ AP – Employment Opportunities - IFJ China Coordinator – Monitoring & Advocacy
IFJ China Coordinator – Monitoring & Advocacy
Commencement: August 2018 – 8 months
We are looking for a media monitoring and project coordinator, fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, to act as network liaison for the IFJ’s China strategy for eight months from August 2018 to March 2019.
Strong journalism and/or international development experience and a knowledge of trade unions is essential
Expertise/knowledge of current China media and press freedom issues
Excellent communication skills – written and verbal in English and Chinese (traditional and simplified)
Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
Workplace: Contract based out of the East Asia region. Deadline: August 15, 2018
Tasks and responsibilities:
Working under the direction of the Director of the IFJ Asia-Pacific, you will be responsible for all communications and activities related to the IFJ’s project work related to this strategy including:
- Issue regular media alerts, statements and mapping of media violations in China and provide translations
- Develop campaigns and coordinate communications related to China-related project activities
- Liaise with IFJ and its affiliates in developing and building network engagement on China media issues globally
- Cultivate stakeholder engagement in the development of a China media advocacy and strategy network
- Establish links with technical and digital security experts to support the technical aspects of the project
- Produce training materials and resources for workshop activities in consultation with the IFJ goals and principles
- Produce narrative reports on activities conducted, including fact-finding trips, conference, overseas missions, workshops etc as well as assistance in preparation of financial reports.
- Maintain and augment IFJ press freedom network of journalists in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
- Provide inputs for project development and strategic advice for future works
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to the Acting Director, IFJ AP, jane.worthington(at)ifj-asia(dot)org
An 8-month contract in a great multicultural and international workplace
Open and respectful company culture advocating for press freedom, labor rights and gender equality
Flexible working environment, based on three days per week. Remuneration based on experience.
Work for Us
Human Rights and Journalism Internship Program
IFJ Asia Pacific is the IFJ’s Sydney-based regional office that coordinates the work and advocacy of the IFJ in Asia and the Pacific, as well as facilitate the relationship with the Asia Pacific affiliates. The work of the IFJ focuses on issues such as press freedom, trade unions, gender equity, journalists’ safety and human rights, journalism ethics, public service journalism, reporting child rights and tolerance in the media, as well as digital security.
An opportunity exists for dynamic, mature students interested in international relations and human rights, journalism and strengthening solidarity among journalists in the Asia- Pacific region.
Human Rights and Journalism Internship:
The internship requires an energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated team-player and is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in international relations, media and human rights in the world of global union federations.
The Human Rights and Journalism Intern will provide critical support to the Project and Human Rights Coordinator with daily internal and external community, campaign development and roll-out and support the IFJ Asia Pacific with projects and activities.
· Must be studying – media, journalism, international relations, Asian studies, government or law.
· Strong research and analytical skills
· Excellent written English language skills. Able to convey complex ideas through writing in a clear and concise manner.
· Ability to work in an organised manner, independently and manage time effectively
· Excellent computer skills and well versed in Microsoft Office Suite
Ideally, the role will be 2 or more days a week and run for 6-8 weeks. This is a volunteer internship and is unpaid.
Please e-mail the Project and Human Rights Coordinator at email@example.com for internship inquiries. Please see the IFJ Human Rights and Journalism Internship application form for more information here.